- News Picks
- Latest in Technology
- 50 Billion Devices will be Connected to the Internet by 2020 - Can this Really be Hype?
50 Billion Devices will be Connected to the Internet by 2020 - Can this Really be Hype?
It's already a reality - the question is how will CIOs take advantage of this trend as it gains momentum in 2014.
Here are just a few examples:
- remote access to home security, appliances and media saves money, energy, and time; and provides peace of mind
- internet capabilities in the car generates more information, entertainment and of course, safety
- personalized customer experience (lighting, temperature) in hotel rooms leaves guests with a memorable experience and hotels with lower energy bills and repeat business.
- health monitoring apps and fitness trackers are addressing the needs of every generation.
- the potential in manufacturing is huge
Frost & Sullivan’s Andrew Milroy says, “The deployment of low-cost, IP-enabled sensors within things that move products around — and operate within the actual products — opens vast opportunities far beyond just the supply chain optimization. There are gains to be made in many industries - transportation, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing, energy management, facility management, security and surveillance, utilities, telecom, finance, insurance and many more. Basically, every sector in every system will be part of the connected world.”
Take a look at this article and share your thoughts with us – hype or reality?